Sunday, September 11

DE NOVO DAHL

Every now and again, my semi-relentless scouring of cyberspace nets me more than just one or two jump-out tunes - it introduces me to a band that I'd never heard of before that ultimately becomes a long-running favorite. Now, at this point, it's far too early to say that this will prove the case with the Nashville-based band De Novo Dahl - a six-person collective that's been around since 2001 but only recently cracked my consciousness.

At the very least, I like what I've been able to hear so far. The song "All Over Town," from their first full-length effort, has a Roxy Music/glam element to it that I find beguiling, while the slightly older "Waiting for My Friends" plays out as somewhat more straightforward pop (Fountains of Wayne by way of Supergrass, perhaps). "Memphis," by contrast, is a strummy, slightly countrified ode to the late, great Jeff Buckley. Not a bad muse to choose.

So, by the looks of it, this may be one of those bands that proves promising enough for me to pony up some plastic for.

[MP3] [left-click] "All Over Town" [from the LP Cats & Kittens, 2005]

[MP3] [left-click] "Waiting for My Friends" [from their self-titled EP, 2003]

[MP3] [left-click] "Memphis" [from their self-titled EP, 2003]

No comments: