Wednesday, September 7

SWEDISH SMORGASBORD

Today's post was inspired by an otherwise unrelated message I received from P the Swede, a fellow mixer/archiver at The Art of the Mix. That served to remind me yet again of the many Swedish artists and songs I've been enjoying since becoming addicted to other peoples' MP3 blogs over this past 6-8 months or so. I really don't know why it is that the Swedish people seem to be genetically superior to the rest of the world when it comes to producing songs just dripping with hooks and melody. But they do. And they are. And I am thankful.

[The Divine Comedy, by the way, is not a Swedish band - but the song "Sweden" offers a deliciously over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek rundown of all the things that make that nation great. A must-hear. And other, non-Swedish-related Divine Comedy tracks are still available here.]

[Also "by the way": Swedesplease is still the place to go for all things musically Swede. You will also find many additional links there, so go explore.]

[MP3] [left-click] Shout Out Louds/"Very Loud" [from the LP Howl Howl Gaff Gaff, 2005]

[MP3] [left-click] Sambassadeur/"New Moon" [from their self-titled LP]

[MP3] [left-click] The Legends/"There and Back Again" [from the LP Up Against the Legends, 2004]

[MP3] [left-click] The Charade/"Monday Morning" [from the LP The Best is Yet to Come, 2005]

[MP3] [left-click] David Fridlund/"April & May" [from the LP Amaterasu, 2005]

[MP3] [left-click] The Divine Comedy/"Sweden" [from the LP Fin de Siecle, 1998]

2 comments:

Chris said...

Excellent stuff here... as always! ;) I'd go and say not only the Swedes have that gift of creating catchy tunes, but their fellow Scandinavians are good at it, too!

Here are some highlights of my Scandinavian Collection:

Saybia - The Second You Sleep (Denmark)
Delaware - ...And Everything Reminds Me (Norway)
Eskobar - There's Only Now (Sweden)
Kashmir - The Good Life (Denmark)
Mew - Frengers (Denmark)
Leningrad Cowboys - Live (Finnland)
Paatos - Kallocain (Sweden)
Moi Caprice - You Can't Say No Forever (Denmark)
and of course the lovely Hagnesta Hill by Kent from Sweden!

Well, you probably know most of it... but if not, I hope I could give you some inspiration! ;)

JOE GILLIS said...

Actually, I'm not familiar with most of these - though I have been hearing a lot about Mew lately. Thanks for the tips... I will look to educate myself here....