Thursday, November 23

NOW IT'S OVERHEAD



I've never been a huge fan of Athens, Georgia's Now It's Overhead. It seems as though I should like their songs more than I do, seeing as I tend to appreciate the individual parts of those songs. But something about how Andy LeMaster & friends string things together has always turned me off. Or, at the very least, has always managed NOT to turn me ON.

That pattern seemed to be holding true as I listened to their latest LP, Dark Light Daybreak, yesterday afternoon. Certainly, the songs seemed to have some sharper edges than in the past (which was welcome), but there remained a certain unsatisfying drone... a certain lumbering quality to the note and chord progressions....

But then, lo and behold, certain of the tracks started to come together for me. Before I knew it, I was liking a full half of the album. Time will tell if more listens will unlock some of the other tunes to these still somewhat skeptical ears, but I'm glad I stuck with this one till the end. And I have no qualms whatsoever about recommending the songs below...

[MP3] "Day Light Daybreak"

[MP3] "Believe What They Decide"

[This'll probably have to be it for today, folks. I'm off to my brother's to eat White Castles and watch the Lions embarrass themselves on national TV. Just like last year. And the year before that. Etc. Ad infinitum.]

No comments: