Tuesday, April 29

WOLF PARADE

What with the plethora of "wolf"/"bear"/"monkey" bands & blogs in recent years, it's no wonder that some of them get lost in the general scrabble & scrum.

Despite the hype surrounding their 2005 full-length debut, Montreal's WOLF PARADE didn't really dent my consciousness until February of the following year, when I finally took the time to sit down and give APOLOGIES TO THE QUEEN MARY a proper listen. I liked but did not love. But there was room to grow. And notice had been served.

June 17 will see the release of LP2, AT MOUNT ZOOMER (formerly KISSING THE BEEHIVE). First time through, I'm more than liking; I'm close to loving; there's room to grow; this may be my favorite 2008 release to date; time will tell if this is merely eager-eared overpraising.

Strangely enough, for this increasingly ADD-addled listener, it's the longer songs that are thus far denting my consciousness most forcefully. The two below, for starters. "California Dreamer," for another. Just very nice, assured grooves/vibes. Talented-but-scattershot teenagers developing into solid, dependable twentysomethings... metaphorically-speaking, at least. I'm liking this story. And I might just come to love it.

WOLF PARADE on MySPACE.

From the LP AT MOUNT ZOOMER, 2008 >>>
[
MP3] "Language City"
[
MP3] "Fine Young Cannibals"

From the LP APOLOGIES TO THE QUEEN MARY, 2005 >>>
[
MP3] "Shine a Light"
[
MP3] "It's a Curse"

1 comment:

Dan said...

"wolf"/"bear"/"monkey"? What about all the Bee bands these days?