Friday, October 26

BEE GEES

Thirty years ago, it wasn't the U.S. and U.S.S.R. that ruled the world; it was the BEE GEES. And ABBA. And it was the Boy in the Bubble/Vinnie Barbarino suddenly going white-hot on the Big Screen.

I still remember seeing a double-feature (they still HAD double-features in those days) of "Grease" and "Saturday Night Fever" with my parents in what must have been '78 or '79. I thought "Grease" was groovy. "Fever" put me to sleep. But hey, I was just a kid, and the second movie of a double-feature almost ALWAYS put me to sleep. Case(s) in point: "The Fifth Avenue Irregulars" ('79)/"The Black Marble" ('80) & "Death on the Nile" ('78)/"Murder on the Orient Express" ('74). Only "Wolfen" (''81)/"The Shining" ('80) [at the drive-in, with my sister] broke the streak. (I was too scared-shitless by that damned hedge-maze and spooky-ass music to nod off during that one.)

Most of this has nothing at all to do with today's MP3s offerings; I'm just taking a hop, skip, & plunge down the Yellow Brick Road of nostalgia. And I'm not the only one. To commemorate the 30th anniversary of "Saturday Night Fever" and its attendant cultural phenomena, RHINO is re-releasing the Bee Gees' 1979 double-disc greatest-hits colection. The first four tracks below are pulled from there.

The last four tracks are from an even-earlier, even-more-innocent time. These were songs my even-younger, blonder self listened to on the AM radio of my father's blue Ford LTD, circa '73, '74, '75.... The Brothers Gibb weren't doing disco in those days. "Soft rock," more like. Along with THE CARPENTERS and SEALS & CROFTS and JIM CROCE and JANIS IAN and THE CAPTAIN & TENNILLE and etc. (But we'll save those folks for the next time nostalgia comes knockin'....)

<<< '70s >>>

[
MP3] "Stayin' Alive"

[
MP3] "Tragedy"

[
MP3] "More Than a Woman"

[
MP3] "If I Can't Have You"

<<< '60s >>>

[
MP3] "I Started a Joke"

[
MP3] "Holiday"

[
MP3] "To Love Somebody"

[
MP3] "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart"

2 comments:

CTV said...

Much as I love disco, and much as I'd defend the Saturday Night Fever stuff, I can not buy into the hairy chested Bee Gees deal. To me they are the goofy prodigies who made masterpieces like Odessa before their mommy gave them the key on their 21st birthday.

Nice blog, by the way. I'm bookmarking it to link on mine next time I update things.

Anonymous said...

i LOVE THE BEE GEES tHEY ARE A BEAUTIFUL SOUND AND IF ANYONE DOESNT LIKE THEM THEY DONT HAVE AN EAR FOR MUSIC. iTS SAD THE GUY THAT COMMENTED PROBABLY LIKES OZZY.....